Things I Learned Cleaning Up My Digital Files: File Folder Structure

Leave a comment

I’ve posted at great length about the massive project I worked on for about two years organizing the genealogy documents on my computer.  While cleaning up this huge mess that I, and I alone created, I learned several things.  I’m passing on what I learned as it might help someone else in the same predicament … Continued

Turning over a new leaf


As the new year approaches, I’ve been assessing my research habits.  I’m always striving to improve on my methods, organization skills, and research habits. I’ve been working diligently on my project to input all my old documentation.  It’s slow going–but it’s going! I had hoped to have it completed by the end of this year, … Continued

Binders or Folders?

Leave a comment

[I am working backwards through Amy Coffin’s 52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy because I wasn’t paying attention at the beginning of the year.  This is my entry for week #29…Organizational Tools. Here’s one of the things I learned from genealogy.  Everyone has a method for organization that is the WAY THAT THINGS MUST BE DONE.  … Continued

I Cherish My Ancestors’ Sugar Plantation Contracts


One of my most treasured items is something I never thought to ever see.I met Susan Nunes online years ago. We learned that we shared the same de Braga ancestry and began comparing notes, photographs, and documents. Susan had something in her possession that I thought was long ago lost. It was a copy of … Continued

Organizing Digital Photographs

Leave a comment

One of the challenges I undertook for the Genea Blogger Games was to organize my digital photographs. I had to do a minimum of 20. My photographs are already fairly well organized. They are all labeled with names of who is in them and a date if known. My current family photographs are kept in … Continued

Solutions to Backing Up My Data

1 Comment

One of the challenges I took on from the Genea Blogger Games was to backup my data. I really dreaded this item. I backed up my computer to CDs in February and it almost took me the whole month. What a tiresome task! Plus you end up with hundreds of CDs each having a bit … Continued

Organizing Documents and Filing Them Away


The next challenge I faced in the Genea Blogger Games was to organize at least 20 hard files and file them in their appropriate place. I had a stack of documents that I’ve input but never got around to filing, so I worked on that. I do not use folders. I found out years ago … Continued