This is a brief list of the Catholic Churches whose members was primarily from the Portuguese ethnic group. Other churches also have Portuguese members, however, these churches catered to the Portuguese community. These would be good places to start searches for your ancestors if you’re unsure which church your ancestors belonged to.
There are most likely more churches to add to this list. If you know of a Catholic church that served the Portuguese community specifically, please leave a comment so I may update this list.
- Holy Cross, Kalaheo, Kauai
- Holy Ghost, Waiakoa, Maui
- Holy Rosary, Pahala, Hawaii
- Immaculate Conception, Holualoa, Hawaii
- Immaculate Conception, Lihue, Kauai
- Our Lady of the Mount, Honolulu, Oahu
- Sacred Heart, Honolulu, Oahu
- St. Anthony’s, Wailuku, Maui
- St. Joseph’s, Makawao, Maui
If you’d like to learn more about finding Catholic records in the US, Virginia Humling’s book “U.S. Catholic Sources: A Diocesan Research Guide” is a good place to start.
- Catholic Archives Website: http://catholic.archives.edu/PPHC-HI.HTM
- Schoofs, Robert. Pioneers of the Faith: History of the Catholic Mission in Hawaii (1827-1940). Hawaii : Sturgis Printing Co., Inc., c1978.
- Visitor submissions.
Genealogist and writer. Creator of the Portuguese Hawaiian Genealogy and Heritage website, yourislandroutes.com