In my earlier post, I showed how I connected to Antonio Medeiros Cordeiro. Antonio is sort of anchor ancestor who connects me to several noble family trees in the Azores and throughout Europe.
One of the well known noble characters in my tree is Goncalo Vaz Botelho, “O Grande”. He was one of the original settlers on the island of Sao Miguel in the Azores chain. Goncalo was my first connection to European royalty. His line goes back to Portugal and then spreads throughout Europe hitting a couple of kings and queens along the way.
I was able to work back from myself to Antonio Medeiros Cordeiro and then to Goncalo Vaz Botelho. Goncalo is my 15th Great Grandfather. Goncalo’s wife is unknown.
By finding this line in Rodrigo Rodrigues’ work, I was able to fill a whole lot of my pedigree chart! This ahnentafel chart documents the line from Antonio Medeiros Cordeiro to Goncalo Vaz Botelho, O Grande:
Ahnentafel of Antonio MEDEIROS CORDEIRO – 1 May 2011
1. Antonio MEDEIROS CORDEIRO: born about 1735 in Maia, Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel Island.
2. Gaspar de MEDEIROS MONIZ: born in Maia, Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel Island; married on 30 Jul 1718 in Maia, Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel Island.
3. Maria FURTADO: born in Ponta Garca, Sao Miguel Isl..
4. Manoel CARDOSO PEREIRA: married on 16 Dec 1686 in Maia, Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel Island.
5. Maria da COSTA.
6. Joao FURTADO LEITAO: married.
7. Margarida FURTADO.
8. Gaspar PEREIRA: married.
9. Maria CARDOSO.
10. Manoel MONIZ BARBOSA: married on 12 Dec 1654 in Maia, Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel Island.
11. Maria da COSTA: died in 1676 in Maia, Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel Island.
20. Capitao Jorge CORREIA BARBOSA: married.
21. Maria VIEIRA DE ALBERNAZ: born in Albernaz, Portugal.
22. Manoel de COSTA CARVALHO: married.
23. Isabel JORGE.
40. Heitor BARBOSA DA SILVA: married; died on 22 May 1629 in Sao Miguel Isl., Acores.
41. Maria SOUSA DE SAMPAIO.
80. Pedro BARBOSA DA SILVA: married.
81. Maria MEDEIROS.
82. Jorge CORREIA.
83. Isabel Pacheco da SILVEIRA.
160. Heitor BARBOSA DA SILVA: married.
161. Guiomar PACHECO.
162. Alvaro LOPES FURTADO: married.
163. Ana FERNANDES MONIZ.
320. Sebastiao BARBOSA DA SILVA: married.
321. Isabel NUNES BOTELHO.
324. Rodrigo ALVARES: married.
325. Maria de MEDEIROS.
640. Rui LOPES: married on 9 Aug 1511 in Lisboa, Portugal.
641. Branca GIL DE MIRANDA.
642. Nuno GONCALVES BOTELHO: born in Sao Miguel Isl., Acores; married on 12 Aug 1517.
643. Catarina RODRIGUES.
648. Alvaro LOPES: married.
649. Mecia AFONSO.
650. Rui VAZ DE MEDEIROS: married.
651. Ana GONCALVES DE MENDONCA.
1280. Rui ESTEVES BARBOSA: married.
1281. Filipa da SILVA.
1283. Maria or Margarida DIAS: married.
1284. Goncalo Vaz BOTELHO “O Grande”: born about 1420 in Portugal; married.
1298. Francisco Anes de PRAIA: married.
1299. Mecia AFONSO?.
1302. Jorge de MENDONCA: married.
Geni.com has Goncalo Vaz Botelho’s tree mapped out. If you’d like to view these lines in pedigree chart form, check out “Goncalo Vaz Botelho O Grande“.
The question remains…why didn’t I get invited to the royal wedding of William and Kate???? Must have been an oversight.
Genealogist and writer. Creator of the Portuguese Hawaiian Genealogy and Heritage website, yourislandroutes.com